Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 7: Quickly to Leh! (And Silly Signs Along the Way!)


9/12/2011 (Guidebook Day 6)

Today there was a major change of plans. We were originally supposed to spend today going from Sarchu to Karzok, then to Chumathang the next day, on to Tangtse the following day, and then on to Leh on the fourth day.

Unfortunately one of our own fell terribly ill to altitude sickness, bad enough to need to use our stores of oxygen we brought along just in case. George decided we shouldn’t take any chances and we should go to Leh first thing in order to get him down to a lower elevation. So, we came to Leh tonight. As we started to ascend and started getting closer to Leh, our fallen friend seemed to be doing much better. Hurray!

We will have tomorrow to exlore Leh as we wish and will do as much as we can of the original stuff the next few following days.

I’m personally looking forward to this rest day to explore around Leh without a specific set schedule. Many people are going to go off on little day adventures. I on the other hand am excited to just spend time in the city, do some shopping, stop in an internet cafĂ©, and just chill all day. :)

Side note: We’ve been seeing all these ridiculous road signs the whole time we’ve been traveling through India. I’ve been trying to get pictures of most of them as I’m going. I’m not going to post any of them now, but once I get back to the states I might post a post specifically for these road signs. They’re amazing. They consist of sayings like “Be Gentle on My Curves”, “Don’t Gossip, Let Him Drive”, and “Peep Peep, Don’t Sleep”. Below is one I really liked. It says "We Cut Mountains, But Connect Hearts". Love it!


PICTURES!



You can see the road we just traveled in this one.

More yardangs!


A lot of the “villages” we’ve been passing through are very similar to this. I especially like the hotel sign in this one, though.




I’m at the second Highest Pass! Wuhoo!! 17,582 ft. I'll probably never be higher in my life.

So, today we went from Sarchu to Leh.

2 comments:

  1. More great pictures! I guess there's no need to think too big if you want to open a hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I took that picture, I've actually seen mannnny more "hotels" just like that one. Most of the restaurants in the small towns look about the same as well. And sometimes the tents serve as both a restaurant AND a hotel!

    ReplyDelete