Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 13: RFC Nights, Charismatic Megafauna, and Lowered Cleanliness Expectations


9/18/2011 Day 13 (Guidebook Day 7 – led by Simone)


Holy crap. It was COLD last night. RFC. There was frost on my bag this morning. Perhaps I’ll sleep in the tent if it’s this cold on some of the nights to come. Brr.

Something I’ve noticed about India – there are dogs everywhere. There seems to be a dog that lives at this campsite, and every town you go through there are strays all around. I tend to steer clear of them. To me, I just see them as potential rabies carriers. Not so cute anymore, eh?

I’ve never been so aware of my water intake than on this trip. Because we are at such high altitude, it is more important that we drink adequate amounts of water. Dehydration only helps along altitude sickness, which in turn makes you dehydrated. Vicious cycle. I often don’t realize I’m dehydrated until I get a massive headache, and then realize I haven’t had anything to drink yet that day.

I was made aware today of how my definition of clean has been lowered. After checking out a bathroom (and then immediately leaving it), I commented on how, although it only consisted of a confusingly small hole in the very corner of the room (extremely inconvenient), it was fairly clean.  (I mean, most of the bathrooms we use now are just holes in the ground, but this one was just confusing.) I think I’ve become extremely grateful of any bathroom that does not have toilet paper everywhere and a pile of feces in the corner.  I am also content with a shower consisting of a moist bathing wipe (supplied by REI) while camping if nothing else is convenient.

Today was a fairly relaxed day. The group spent the morning doing geology together, but then split in the afternoon with half going to hang out Karzok near the lake there, and the other half doing the planned day of geology. That way the group that just needed a break to recoup was able. (I was definitely included in that group.)

Here is some “charismatic megafauna”


The lake at Karzok


Today we drove from Sumdo to Karzok to Upshi.

No comments:

Post a Comment